Friday, December 24, 2010

From Chris

Once upon a semester in 2003 I met Maria. She had just come out to BYU-Hawaii and was our new roomie at the Buddha House. To say that she fit right in, would be an understatement. We had a group of friends that were abnormally good at singing and guitaring. One of her first nights, we gathered around those filthy dijon mustard- colored cordoroy couches for some guitar passing. I was only an on-looker and appreciator of these times and have never quite understood how on earth these people could make such magic with their voices and fingers. I still don't. No, really someone tell me! Maria sat quietly until Jess urged her to play and she accepted. I remember this lovely wee thing taking over the guitar and within the first strum, I knew this girl was something else; a perfect solution to our empty bed. She played, "Misty"

I graduated and said my goodbyes assuming I would see all of these people soon but life took me far far away and we all took our chosen paths until finally in October 2010 our beautiful Leilani's wedding brought us back together. 7 years is a long time to be apart but it didn't even take seconds to fit right back the way we all did. Maria had just cut her hair, got her first job, and was radiating with a new life ahead of her. Then we spent a wonderful weekend in Washington a month later, solidifying that yes, indeed, this group of people we know is remarkable.

You, Miss Maria, kinda, sorta amaze me with your pore oozing talented self, your beauty, your punk spirit, and absolute determination. Happy Birthday. Merry Christmas. See you soon!
all my love, Chris

2003: Buddha House, Hawaii




2010: Snapdragon Inn, Vermont




2010: Washington







No comments:

Post a Comment